The US Food and Drug Administration has roughly five weeks of funding left to review new drug applications during the shutdown, commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb said Monday on Twitter.
Experts say this could have a ripple effect, bogging down the approval and manufacture of new drugs, delaying patients from getting these treatments and adding to a host of other crucial FDA actions and oversight that have taken a hit during the shutdown.
The partial government shutdown began on December 22 after...
- economy and trade
- US federal departments and agencies
- US Food and Drug Administration
- Drug and medical devices approval
- Pharmaceuticals and prescription drugs
- Business and industry sectors
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- Consumer protection
- Pharmaceuticals and biotechnology regulation and policy
- Government organizations - US
- Pharmaceutical industry